December 4th is National Cookie Day and with the holidays upon us and cookie swaps quickly approaching, I thought I’d share this recipe for Dairy Free Chocolate-Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies ! The star of these cookies is a brand-new dairy-free (and 100% vegan) organic chocolate hazelnut spread called Nocciolata Dairy Free.
Each batch of Nocciolata Dairy Free takes 36 hours of artisanal preparation, which combines top-quality hazelnuts, cocoa and cocoa butter, environmentally-responsible cold-pressed sunflower oil, natural vanilla extract, and raw cane sugar. It contains no palm oil (which is high in saturated fat and whose cultivation devastates the environment), hydrogenated fats, artificial colors, aromas or additives. This product is USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Dairy Free, Vegan and Kosher Certified, Gluten Free, and full of flavor !
I whipped up a batch of these cookies using the following recipe:
Dairy Free Chocolate-Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 10 large cookie sandwiches
1/2 cup walnut halves
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2/3 cup unsweetened coconut
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I prefer natural but you can use Dutch process)
large pinch salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
Jar of Nocciolata Dairy Free
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for two minutes. Add the almonds to the tray and bake for 3-4 minutes more until the nuts are fragrant and just barely golden. Transfer to a bowl to cool. When cool enough to handle, break the walnut halves unevenly into smaller pieces.
3. Spread the coconut on the baking sheet and toast it for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden. Add it to the bowl of nuts.
4. Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
5. Add the walnut-almond-coconut mixture and the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
6. Add the egg whites and stir just enough to moisten all the dry ingredients.
7. Spoon about two tablespoons of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving several inches between cookies.
8. Bake for 12-14 minutes, turning the baking sheet once.
9. Once cooled, spread Nocciolata Dairy Free chocolate hazelnut spread between two cookies and assemble the sandwiches.
These cookies were a tasty treat for me and my little one! I was happy to try the dairy free option but I am a huge fan of the Rigoni Di Asiago Nocciolata Organic Hazelnut spread made with cocoa and milk ! (I like to add it to oatmeal drizzled on strawberries, rasberries or bananas..so good!) I also have been known to tie a ribbon around a gourmet jar of this rich creamy chocolate hazelnut spread. Whether its the Dairy Free spread or this one, they both make a lovely hostess gift!