What do you get when you mix Girlfriends + Wine Tasting + Valentine’s Day? You get #GalentinesandWine 💕🍷 An event I hosted and created to celebrate good wine and fun times with some amazing bloggers/influencers in the Triangle!
Inspired by artwork from Deborah Cartwright, I set out to invite 4 black women bloggers/influencers whom I had the pleasure of vibing with over food and wine in the past. It gave all of us a great opportunity to connect and explore the unique, hand-selected collection of wines at Il Palio Restaurant.
THE RESTAURANT | IL PALIO
Il Palio, located inside the The Siena Hotel, was gracious to host our group and take us on a journey of their hand-selected Italian wines and paired it with some delicious small plates. Known for their warmth of service and quality of their cooking, Il Palio was the perfect choice to celebrate Galentine’s Day along with the great tradition of Italian hospitality. Annabel Butler, the new Restaurant Manager and Sommelier, did an excellent job of hosting us!
THE WELCOME COCKTAIL
Nothing says festive like a cocktail in a flute. Make it pink and you got the perfect Galentine’s drink! Lucky for us, Il Palio already had a pink cocktail on their menu, called the Pom Reader, made with Suntory Roku Gin, pomegranate liqueur, honey, lemon, prosecco. We loved this as a pink welcome cocktail prepared by their bartender Bryan!
THE WINE and FOOD Pairing
The wines picked for us were all Italian wines with all native grapes, which gave a great snapshot of Italian wines. These wines were paired with small Italian plates and were provided with tasting notes for all of the following wines:
Sparkling / Wild Card:
• Denny Bini Lambrusco, a chilled sparkling red wine from the Emilia-Romagna region [..paired with Oven Roasted Caprese Salad]
• Collestefano, Verdicchio di Matelica, a nutty, high-acid white wine from the Marche region [ …paired with cheese, nuts, dried fruits]
• Fontanassa, Gavi Ca’Adua, made from the Cortese grape this full bodied white wine is similar to Chardonnay and comes from the Gavi region […paired with wood grilled octopus]
• Tasca Regaleali Rosso, Nero d’Avola, a lighter bodied red wine from Sicily grown in Volcanic Soil […paired with two types of wood grilled crostini – Olives Tapenade & Chicken Liver Mousse]
• Podero Sapaio Pappolo , a deliciously rich Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot blend [….paired with Marinated Beef Carpaccio] ❣ While everything I tried was a delicious pairing, this was my personal favorite duo of the night!
• Vietti Moscato a sweet wine from the Piedmont region. […paired with dessert, which was a cookie plate of the chef’s selection of house made Italian cookies]
**SobeSavvy Tip: Not sure what to get that special person in your life for Valentine’s Day? How about the gift of an exquisite Italian dinner in Chapel Hill, NC? Il Palio will have delicious options with wine pairings including their well-known Tagliatelle alla Tartufo. Get details about Valentine’s Day at Il Palio here:
Also, SAVE THE DATE…Il Palio at the Siena Hotel is excited to host the Podere Sapaio Wine Dinner on February 26, 2020 at 6:30pm. This special six-course dinner highlights wine originating from the territory in Italy that runs parallel to the Tuscan coast. Executive Chef Adam Rose has prepared each course to pair perfectly with winery owner Massimo Piccin’s beverage selections.Tickets are $95 per person including tax and gratuity, with reservations available by calling Il Palio at (919)-918-2545.
Me and My #GalentinesandWine ❤🍷celebration was lovely! Everyone got a Thank You gift from me as a token of my appreciation: a candle, chocolates, and a poem I wrote & framed inspired by #debracartwrightart.
To see more highlights of the event, WATCH my YOUTUBE video here:
Thank you again to my wonderful guests for joining me for this special evening and to the wonderful staff at IL PALIO! The great service, amazing food & wine and wonderful memories made with the ladies is something I will cherish always!
Do you plan to celebrate Galentine’s or Valentine’s Day this year? Let me know in the comments below your plans or if you need some inspiration and other savvy ideas, I’d be happy to help! Cheers 🍷❤ 🍽
CONNECT WITH ME @SobeSavvy
Facebook|YouTube|Instagram |Pinterest | Twitter